Media Relations Case Study
O.C. Tanner Inspiration Awards Recognize Those Who Help Olympians 'Go for Gold'
- Reinforce O.C. Tanner’s position as an industry leader in the rewards & recognition space by generating media coverage for O.C. Tanner’s Inspiration Award during the 2012 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- Inspiration Awards celebrate Olympic and Paralympic mentors, teachers, family and friends who inspired athletes to ‘Go For Gold.’
Hunter PR developed a three-phase media relations strategy to build buzz and create awareness around the Inspiration Awards in the lead-up to and during the 2012 Summer Games:
- Phase 1: Pitched Olympic and Paralympic athletes such as judo gold medalist Kayla Harrison, hurdler Lolo Jones and shot put thrower Ryan Whiting, alongside their inspiration stories to media.
- Phase 2: Conducted media outreach to drive consumer voting for the Inspiration Award on the O.C. Tanner Facebook page.
- Phase 3: Announced Inspiration Award winners and conducted photo-opps and media interviews.
Hunter PR was able to strategically use a variety of assets, which allowed the team to pitch a wide range of media, including entertainment, pop culture and sports outlets where O.C. Tanner would normally not be featured. These assets included:
- Olympic and Paralympic athletes and their nominees
- The O.C. Tanner ring designer, who was able to share ring artwork and design process with media
- Videos and photos of the ring
- More than 85 million earned media impressions, including:
- E! News, The New York Times, Forbes, US Weekly, Life & Style, Yahoo! Sports, Just Jared, Fit Perez, NBC Olympics Blog, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Oakland Press
- More than 15,000 consumer votes on O.C. Tanner Facebook page for Inspiration Award nominees.
Back to Case Studies